[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Literacy for Adult Learners

Debbie Gabe dgabe808 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 21:30:09 UTC 2021

Aloha,
I read braille as often as I can - hard copy books - all kinds - mystery, thrillers, sci fi, romance, nonfiction. Usually the books I read in braille are between 3 to 7 braille volumes long. Any longer and it discourages me because I don't read very fast.
I am currently reading through the "Lincoln lawyer" series by Michael Connelly, but I also read books from book clubs I belong to.

I take my braille book on buses, cars, planes, to appointments, anytime and anywhere I might have to wait a minute or more. I read while I watch TV at night, while listening to NFB virtual conventions. There are some days I don't get a lot of opportunity to read and I really miss it when that happens. I love feeling the pages of braille and turning the pabes and watching the progress I make as I move the bookmark through the volume.

I love talking about braille also.

For anyone interested, the NFB of Hawaii has an "All About Braille" zoom meeting on the first Saturday of each month at 12 noon Hawaii time (3 pm on the west coast and 6 pm on the east coast). If you are interested and don't already receive our emails about our zoom meetings, please respond to me and I will add you to our email list to get the zoom link.

Happy reading, all.
Debbie Gabe
President, Braille Division,
NFB of Hawaii