[NFB-Braille-Discussion] clarifying my original question.

Humberto Avila humberto_avila.it104 at outlook.com
Sun Sep 19 19:11:27 UTC 2021

Dear Ken,

I've had a lot of experiences with UEB, and in my experience, I'd say you do not need any special character or symbol to go from the number to the stars. But a couple question first. Are you entering any contractions in your password? Does the password have a number or letter after the stars, or is it just as you have described? Does the NLS eReader have a mode or keystroke to switch between either Computer Braille and UEB, or at least, from uncontracted to contracted Braille? I haven't had my hands on one of those yet, so that is why I've asked.

I would personally use such a mode in the reader. If not possible, I would first input a Grade 1 word indicator (dots 5,6 twice) on the display before entering complex alphanumeric strings such as that said password. That may solve some of the forward interpretation the Braille reader is making when you submit your password. Also, before entering a number in an alphanumeric string, one has to put the number sign, as you have done. If you would need to input a letter after the numbers, you would use the letters mode indicator (dots 5,6) and there are special rules for combining numbers, letter and things like asterisks and the like in UEB but it would just put you to sleep, so I won't go into that detail. Plus some of it is still complicated to me, even though I am UEB Braille certified in my state. :)

Another trick is to connect your eReader to your PC as a Braille display and input the password into Notepad or Word and see how it would read on the display as you input it, unless you have already tried that trick.

Just some thoughts. Hope any of it helps.

Have an awesome day.

Humberto