[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Janus Slates

Ramona walhoframona at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 15:45:43 UTC 2023

I believe this started with a discussion of a stylus that is comforatable to hold and write with. A lot depends on how you hold the stylus. I find that holding it with the flat top just under your joint just below or above the forefinger is best. That's the best way to put pressure down with the least stress to your arm. I use the end of my ring finger on the point of the stylus for best guidance. I use my thumb on one side and big finger on the other side for easy motion back and forth, so that I have a small callus on the side of the smallest joint of the big finger. This is not quite the position that is ordinarily taught, but it lets my arm last longer and gives me more speed than most people. Some people talk about the pencil grip, but that does not give you as much leverage from the top. Thus, I like the round flat top of the stylus and a sharp point. If that makes sense, try it. The more you do it, the better it feels.
Best,
Ramona