[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Reading Speed Increases

Sanho Steele-Louchart sanho817 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 19:09:10 UTC 2023

Sahar,

Thank you. Agreed on all counts. I really want to move to reading
everything in braille as long as it isn't time-sensitive, but I've
been using my screen-reader at 850 words a minute for almost twenty
years. Going back to 40 or 60WPM is incredibly difficult--especially
given the neurological fatigue that comes with.

Sanho

On 3/15/23, Sahar Husseini via NFB-Braille-Discussion
<nfb-braille-discussion at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Practice really is key. I used to tell my students. Sighted people see print
> everywhere. It is literally on everything. You have to read braille every
> day. Some people tell me that's hard to do, but that really is what it
> takes. I never understood how kids took braille class for one day a week. I
> was lucky that everything in school was in braille. For me to get faster, I
> had to read everything in braille. Of course, now, I am 110 years old, so I
> don't know that kids get everything in braille these days. It's sad how much
> focus is on audio. Some of us don't comprehend as well on audio. Ok, I'm not
> quite 110, lol.
>
> Warm regards,
> Sahar Husseini
> Sahar’s Beaded Creations
> For hand-crafted, one-of-a-kind jewelry, please visit my Website at
> www.saharscreations.com
> Find me on Facebook at
> www.facebook.com/saharscreations
> And remember, “Obstacles don't have to stop you.  If you run into a wall,
> don't turn around and give up.
> Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."
> Michael Jordan

>>> a
>>> aaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638144829421939534%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoi
>>> M
>>> C4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7
>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnfbne
>>> .org%2Fmailman%2Foptions%2Fnfb-braille-discussion_nfbnet.org%2Fmrspoc
>>> 56%2540hotmail.com&data=05%7C01%7C%7C1f5eba88594c45236fdb08db25575f84
>>> %
>>> 7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638144829421939534%7CUnk
>>> n
>>> own%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWw
>>> i
>>> LCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=3swcPWz67wve2UbhRKObhh19P7xrxB0L
>>> v
>>> QkhqGsyjms%3D&reserved=0

>>> NFB-Braille-Discussion:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-braille-discussion_nfbnet.org/s