[NFB-Braille-Discussion] FW: From Print to Braille: A Masterclass a Day for National Braille Week + More News and Events

Milton mota1252 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 18:53:04 UTC 2023

From: The Braillists Foundation <newsletter at braillists.org>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2023 12:03 PM
To: mota1252 at gmail.com
Subject: From Print to Braille: A Masterclass a Day for National Braille Week + More News and Events

Your Weekly Update from the Braillists Foundation

>From Print to Braille: A Masterclass a Day for National Braille Week

For many years now, Sight Scotland have championed National Braille Week, an opportunity to celebrate braille usage and raise awareness of the importance and value of braille. It runs in the second week of October, to coincide with World Sight Day.

This year at the Braillists, we are celebrating National Braille Week by running five Masterclasses, one each day, following the journey “From Print to Braille”:

*	Monday 9 October: What should our braille look like?
We will be joined by a panel of braille transcribers to unpack the rules and conventions of braille layout in different parts of the world. Are headings always centred? What happens if a table is too wide for the braille page? Find out the answers to these questions and so much more!
*	Tuesday 10 October: The Key to Accessible Word Documents
Discover how making a few small tweaks to your Microsoft Word documents will not only lead to better automated braille, but also speed up your word processing tasks! Using styles, inserting proper characters and ensuring tables are created effectively will all be covered.
*	Wednesday 11 October: Choosing the Right Braille Translator for the Job
Microsoft Word knows about typography and layout, but it doesn’t know about braille contractions. That’s why we need a braille translation package. There are a number of packages on the market to suit a variety of budgets and complexities, and we’ll help you decide which one is the right one for you.
*	Thursday 12 October: A Deeper Dive Into Duxbury
The Duxbury Braille Translator is used in braille production facilities all over the world. We will explore how templates can be used to produce braille according to virtually any international standard, and how styles and codes can be used to control the finer points of the braille output.
*	Friday 13 October: Reading the Finished Product
The final stage of the transcription journey is for someone to read the braille! Usually, this is either done by embossing the document on paper or transferring it to a braille display. Which is most suitable? How easy is it to do? Join us to find out!

All of these Masterclasses take place from 7:30 PM-8:30 PM UK time. If you miss them live, they will be recorded and made available in the coming months via the Braillecast podcast.

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=54e13aaf98&e=9d3cb2e41e> Register for From Print to Braille here.

To join by phone, please use these details:

*	Phone number: 0131 460 1196
*	Meeting ID: 846 4911 7372
*	Passcode: 123456

Multi-Line Braille in the Classroom, Tuesday 14 November at 4:00 PM

The braille community is buzzing about the next generation of braille display: devices which can show anything from tables to tactile graphics at the press of a button are now a reality, and braille users around the world are putting the technology through its paces.

But how do they fit into a classroom setting? This event, brought to you by VIEW and the Braillists Foundation, will help us find out:

In the first half, we will hear from HumanWare, Orbit Research, Dot and Bristol Braille Technology, all of whom are developing multi-line braille and/or tactile graphics displays.

In the second half, an expert panel of QTVIs will discuss how current practice might evolve to take advantage of emerging braille technologies.

There will be time at the end for you to ask questions of your own, so come prepared!

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=97eb2dfa13&e=9d3cb2e41e> Register for Multi-Line Braille in the Classroom here.

To join by phone, please use these details:

*	Phone number: 0131 460 1196
*	Meeting ID: 876 1345 5225
*	Passcode: 123456

Braille for Beginners Drop-In Session

If you are registered for our Braille for Beginners On Demand course, our next Office Hours session will take place on Tuesday at 7:30 PM. Please look out for a reminder email containing your unique joining link. If you have not received it by Tuesday lunchtime, please write to  <mailto:help at braillists.org> help at braillists.org for assistance.

If you are new to braille and not registered for Braille for Beginners, please consider signning up at  <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=3516f6203e&e=9d3cb2e41e> www.braillists.org/beginners.

For people not following Braille for Beginners, your next session will be next Tuesday. Please see next week’s Newsletter for more information.

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=695c19046a&e=9d3cb2e41e> Latest Podcast: Transferring Content to your Braille Display (Extra 60)

Published on 25th September

Have you ever downloaded a book from Bookshare or Reading Services, but struggled to extract the zip file? Have you ever had a BRF file emailed to you, but not been able to copy it to your braille display? Does your braille display only support text or BRF files, but you want to read Word or PDF files on it?

If you can answer “yes” to any of these questions, this episode is for you!

Matthew Horspool was in the presenter’s chair on Tuesday 19 September 2023 and took us step by step through extracting zip files, converting files from one format to another, and copying files from your computer to your braille display. Demonstrations using a screen reader formed an integral part of the presentation, and as ever there was plenty of time for questions at the end.

N.B. most of the demos were carried out on Windows, but the concepts discussed should apply equally to other operating systems.

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=eb13fb5153&e=9d3cb2e41e> x060.mp3 107.8 MB

Find out more at  <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=8f160c6337&e=9d3cb2e41e> braillecast.com

Braille for Beginners On-Demand

Do you want to learn the basics of braille but are not quite sure where to start? Have you attempted to learn previously but not quite managed or finding that you’re getting a bit rusty? Perhaps you know someone who wants to learn braille but isn’t aware of the Braillists?

No matter the reason, you are warmly invited to join Braille for Beginners, our free, self-paced introduction to reading braille by touch. Hard copy learning resources are supported by relaxed and friendly lessons available to stream or download at any time. You will also have access to monthly tutorial support on Zoom, email contact with an experienced braille teacher, and peer support through an email discussion forum.

If you would like to learn more or register for the course, visit  <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=6a069e5204&e=9d3cb2e41e> braillists.org/beginners

Links and Meeting IDs for our Regular Events

Masterclasses

Register here

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=0d886aa438&e=9d3cb2e41e> https://is.gd/RUH5vc

Telephone Number

0131 460 1196

Meeting ID

824 7645 2710

Passcode

123456

Braille Bar

Register here

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=063c371d1b&e=9d3cb2e41e> https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwtdOyopjMiHdyORwRuXacnY9IrA4lVN2Bh

Telephone Number

0131 460 1196

Meeting ID

880 3508 8878

Passcode

123456

Book Club

Register here

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=e0ea369306&e=9d3cb2e41e> https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0ucuqqrDsjHtMzH4ytq2NPV0rUpYAGRXEm

Telephone Number

0131 460 1196

Meeting ID

893 5322 0947

Passcode

123456

  _____

For more information, visit  <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=8c7954410b&e=9d3cb2e41e> braillists.org/events. To join by phone, refer to the instructions at  <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=ab242f50de&e=9d3cb2e41e> braillists.org/events/instructions. Our events are carefully moderated in line with our policy at  <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=419b6419d0&e=9d3cb2e41e> braillists.org/events/moderation. Note that all events take place in the UK and are listed in UK time.

Join the Braillists on Social Media

Twitter

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=49a2ffb2e7&e=9d3cb2e41e> @braillists

Facebook

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=a4efea89c0&e=9d3cb2e41e> braillistsfoundation

SoundCloud

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=e047cf393a&e=9d3cb2e41e> braillists

Clubhouse

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=dca1f84c04&e=9d3cb2e41e> Braillists Foundation

  _____

Copyright © 2023 Braillists, All rights reserved.

We are sending you this email because you are subscribed to the Braillists newsletter.

Our mailing address is:

Braillists

G11, BV Studios

37 Philip Street, Bedminster

Bristol, BS3 4EA

United Kingdom

 <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/vcard?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=1ca9e66dba> Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails? You can  <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/profile?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=1ca9e66dba&e=9d3cb2e41e&c=2da4522719> update your preferences or  <https://braillists.us8.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&id=1ca9e66dba&e=9d3cb2e41e&c=2da4522719> unsubscribe from this list.

 <http://www.mailchimp.com/email-referral/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referral_marketing&aid=f8b3c5f851151c8180717ff70&afl=1>