[Nfb-cars] Gaining experience with driving

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 12 18:41:21 UTC 2009

Dear Brian,

I beg to differ.  The day is close at hand , and proto-types already exist,
of vehicles that can drive themselves.  The U.S.Military already has a
mandate to make 33% of all of its vehicles autonomist by the year 2015.
They have been in the testing phase for over 10 years.
It will not be far away that cars will be fully able to drive themselves,
independent of human interaction.  When this comes, the Blind will be able
to "drive" their own cars.
The most dangerous thing in a car are the human beings that drive them.
Computers follow rules and people don't.  People get tired, careless, take
risks and make mistakes or bad decisions.
Cars in the future will be able to navigate, safely, in any environment and
will communicate constantly with all of the other cars around it, so that
each computer will know where every other car is going and what they plan to
do.
The cars will be able to react much faster to situation than humans and even
handle emergency situations that crop up, mostly because of the actions of
humans.
The insurance companies will be all for this as it should reduce traffic
accidents and as all actions will be recorded automatically by an on-board
"Black Box" recorder, as many cars already have, there should be less
lawsuits and damage claims.
The military has the deep pockets for the research, but the spin offs will
follow as the technology goes into use by the commercial sector, mostly in
long and short haul trucking, delivery services and finally the private
owners; us.

David Evans, NFBF