[NFB-Conventions] Time is Running Out

Mike Robinson via New-York-News new-york-news at nfbnet.org
Sun Oct 6 02:16:28 UTC 2019

The 63rd annual convention of the National
Federation of the Blind of New York State is fast
approaching. Get your reservations in TODAY.

Join us on October 18 – 20, 2019 at the Holiday
Inn Buffalo Airport for this fun and “motivating” event.

You Are Cordially Invited to Attend
The 63nd Convention of the National Federation of the Blind
Of New York State
“Be Motivated”
The National Federation of the Blind of New York
State will hold its sixty-third annual convention
in Buffalo, NY, from October 18-20, 2019.  Please
join us as we strive to build a network of
expertise and encouragement among blind New
Yorkers and work together to make a positive
difference in the lives of blind people across New York State.
Who Are We?
The NFB of NYS is an organization of blind and
visually impaired New Yorkers who believe that,
with the appropriate training, attitude, and
opportunities, blind people can Live the Lives We
Want.  NFB of NYS brings blind people together to
support and learn from one another and to
celebrate our achievements as we work together to
improve the lives of the blind of New York.
Our Convention Agenda
It is our pleasure to welcome back, as our
National Representative, Mr. Anil Lewis,
Executive Director of Blindness Initiatives of
the National Federation of the Blind.  We will be
privileged to hear him share information about
the ongoing work of the Federation nationwide.
The theme of this year’s convention will be “Be
Motivated”.  Our speakers and panel discussions
will highlight ideas and tools that will inspire
us to grow, both as individuals and as
Federationists.  We hope everyone will come away
from convention feeling refreshed, rejuvenated
and motivated to take the next steps on our
personal journeys and to advance the work of the
Federation in each of our communities.
On Friday, October 18, the day will be filled
with break-out sessions and small group
meetings.  Among these will be the annual
seminars of the various divisions of the NFB of
NYS.  These will include our Seniors Division,
our Student Division, Guide Dog Division, Blind
Parents Group, and our Parents of Blind Children
Division.  There will also be seminars on Small
Business and ABLE Accounts.  These meetings are
interactive and open to all convention attendees, so please stop by!
Also, on Friday, we will host a town hall style
meeting with Brian Daniels, Associate
Commissioner of the New York State Commission for
the Blind.  Everyone is welcome to attend our
board meeting where, among other things, the
winners of our 2019 NFB of NYS scholarships will
introduce themselves.  Convention attendees are
encouraged to explore our exhibit hall, where the
latest technology will be on display and
information pertinent to our community will be
shared. In the evening, join us for our
hospitality event!  Meet and mingle with other
Federation members in a relaxed atmosphere of food and fellowship.
All day Saturday the general sessions of the
convention will provide us with the opportunity
to hear presentations on topics that are
important to blind people across New York and across the nation.
The excitement will continue during Our Saturday
evening banquet, with an address by our keynote
speaker, Mr. Anil Lewis, auctions, and prize
giveaways.   The banquet will come to a dramatic
close with the presentation of our 2019 NFB of NYS scholarships.
Please see the “special notes” later in this letter.
On Sunday morning we will hold our annual
business meeting to chart our course for the
coming year. We will also consider the
resolutions that the Convention deems vital for
our future as we review and update our
organization’s policy goals. We will hear Chapter
and Division reports from around the state. We
will then return home, revitalized and ready to
Live the Lives We Want, and to share our
experiences and our learning with other blind members of our communities.
Reservations, Room Rates and Registration
This year’s convention will be held in Buffalo,
at the Holiday Inn, 4600 Genesee Street,
Cheektowaga, NY 14225. Please make all hotel
reservations through the NFB of NYS office, by
visiting
<http://www.nfbny.org/conventions/register>www.nfbny.org/conventions/register
and completing our online registration form, or
by filling out the attached registration form and
returning it to the affiliate office.   Room
rates this year are $104 per night, including doubles and quads.
Using the same registration form, you will also
be able to purchase your banquet ticket ($30) and
pay your $15 convention registration fee.  To
make eating on the go easy during this fun and
event-packed weekend, we also offer the option to
purchase boxed lunches both Friday and Saturday,
which can be ordered for $12 each when you
register.  All payments including the hotel room
must be made through the NFB of New York. A five
percent discount will be given to anyone who registers by October 1, 2019.
Limited financial assistance may be available
through NFB of NYS to attend the convention.  For
information, please contact the President of NFB
of NYS, Mike Robinson, (716-222-3632) for more information.
Free childcare will be provided during all our
events. Pre-registration for this service is required by October 1.
Please call the office at 716-222-3632 with any
questions regarding this year’s convention.
The convention is shaping up to be a tremendous
event.  Come to Buffalo and share in the
excitement.  I look forward to seeing everyone there.
                      Mike Robinson, President NFB of New York

SPECIAL NOTES
    * The Commission for the Blind Town Hall
Meeting will take place from 9:00 to 11:00 am on Friday, October 18th.
    * The Board of Director’s Meeting will be
held from 11:00 am – 12:00 pm on Friday October 18th.
    * Join us on the evening of Friday, October
18th at 7:00 pm for our Autumn-Themed Hospitality
event!  There will be Family Feud between
Chapters, A talent showcase, and more.
Refreshments will be served!  All are welcome.

    * Transportation from the Buffalo airport and
the Depew Amtrak train station to the hotel is
simple this year.  The Holiday Inn offers a
shuttle to and from both these locations. If you
will be traveling to Buffalo by bus, you can
still take advantage of the hotel shuttle by
purchasing a fare with the Buffalo airport as its
destination, and then arranging to take the hotel
shuttle from there.  The phone number for the
hotel to arrange a shuttle is 716-634-6969.
    * Are you interested in working for
yourself?  Perhaps you have considered
self-employment as a career option, or perhaps
you have considered owning your own business. but
have faced obstacles to achieving your goal.  Or
perhaps you have had difficulty finding
employment in the traditional workplace and would
like to find out if self-employment or business
ownership is a viable option for you.  Or maybe
you are already self-employed or are a business
owner.  Whatever your interest in self-employment
or business ownership, bring your lunch and join
us to discuss the types of opportunities
available, to share our experiences with
self-employment and business ownership, to
identify barriers to successful self-employment
or business ownership opportunities for the
Blind, and to explore the interest in having a
group focusing on self-employment opportunities
and/or the development of self-employment/business ownership training program.
    * Do you have an old, Unused or broken cane
laying around?  We are collecting canes to be
rehabbed and sent to third-world countries where
they will be put in the hands of people who might
not otherwise have access to a cane.
    * What is an ABLE account?  How can it help
me? How do I start one? Why should I have
one?  All these questions and more can be
answered by attending a free seminar on Saturday
October 19 from 12:15 until 1:45. Pick up your
box or takeout lunch and check your agenda for
the location.  Financial professionals from AXA
Advisors will be presenting regarding ABLE
Accounts and answering all your questions.
    * Are you a diabetic? Do you have questions
about diabetes that you haven't been able to get
answered? Come and join us on Friday afternoon as
the Diabetic Action Network exchanges ideas and
information. Let’s tackle the challenges of diabetes together!

Mike Robinson, President
National Federation of the Blind of New York State, Inc.
2175 Sheridan Drive
Buffalo, New York 14223

716-222-3632
716-222-3NFB

“The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.”