[NFB-Conventions] National Federation of the Blind of RI convention Agenda

Grace Pires silvara at cox.net
Wed Oct 14 15:49:16 UTC 2020

Fellow Federationists:

Rhode Island is having our convention this weekend. The agenda is below in
case you want to check us out.

National Federation of the Blind of Rhode Island

50th Annual State Convention

October 16th – 17th 2020

Anywhere and Everywhere

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.  Together with love, hope, and
determination, we transform dreams in to reality.

Welcome To Our Virtual Convention!

Have you wanted to attend a convention? This is your opportunity! This
year’s convention and banquet will be held on the Zoom platform. You do not
need a Zoom account to participate.  You just need a computer, tablet or
phone to join.  For questions or technical assistance please call
401433-2606 or email info at nfbri.org <mailto:info at nfbri.org>

Join Zoom Meeting **This link will be used for all events.

https://zoom.us/j/96469698223?pwd=WVR2QUJ2VVZabEFieVJUcGNFNnFsUT09

Meeting ID: 964 6969 8223

Passcode: 401

One tap mobile

+16468769923,,96469698223#,,,,,,0#,,401# US (New York)

Registration

Registration is free for those who wish to attend.  You must register in
order to be eligible to vote and to win door prizes.  Registration will be
open until October 15, 2020. Please complete the online
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdD5g6mSocQ3DXbnC696TYNqvWXtUnryMx
e7aaZofDRE1e8BQ/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0&usp=mail_form_link> 2020
Convention Registration Form

Friday, October 16th

Join us for informative and empowering words from parents, students, and
teachers, and learn how our blind children can live the lives they want!

1:00 PM – Welcome, Molly Faerber, Vice President of the National Federation
of the Blind of Rhode Island

1:05 PM – Terri Rupp, President of the National Federation of the Blind of
Nevada, national board member and mom to a blind daughter

1:50 PM – Carlton Walker and Penny Frye-Duffy, National Organization of
Parents of Blind Children

2:50 PM – Justin Salisbury, National Association of Blind Students

3:05pm – Making Science Accessible to Blind Students, Michael Hingson,
Independence Science

3:45 PM – Socialize and network with other parents and blindness
professionals!

7:00 PM – 9:00 PM – Virtual Café: Bring your favorite snack and beverage and
join us, connect with old friends and make new ones in a relaxed atmosphere.

Saturday, October 17th

9:00 AM – Call to order. Grace Pires, President, National Federation of the
Blind of Rhode Island.

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind; to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

9:05 AM – An update from our National Office, Jeannie Massay,

Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind, President, NFB of Oklahoma.

9:50 AM – The importance of Voting and making your voice heard, Rob Rock,
Director of Elections, RI Secretary of State.

10:10 AM – Labeling Technology for everyday Items, Jessica Hipp, Chief
Operating Officer, WayAround

10:40 AM –Innovative Changes for distance learning, Hadley Institute for the
Blind, Mark Arneson.

11:25 AM – My Journey to Employment: A Panel discussion, Regina Connor,
Facilitator, David Hie, Warehouse Assistant, Doreen Holmes, Outreach
Coordinator, Jenaya Smith, Customer Service Rep, Jeannie Massay, Mental
Health Counselor

12:00 PM – 1:00 PM – Lunch

1:00 PM – Presidential Report. Grace Pires, President, NFBRI.

1:15 PM – What’s New at In-sight in the Time of Social Distancing,
Christopher Butler, Executive Director, In-Sight.

1:35 PM – Board Meeting, Call to Order

1:40 PM – Resolution on Disabled Parent legislation, Christopher Bove

1:45 PM – Treasurer’s Report. Angelina Stabile, Treasurer, NFBRI.

1:50 PM – Chapter Reports. Rui Cabral, President, Greater Providence
Chapter; Rob Pires, President, Mount Hope Chapter.

1:55 PM – PAC Report. Hillary Feeney, PAC Chair, NFBRI

2:00 PM – Nominating Committee Report, John Pimentel, Nominating Committee
Chair.

2:05 PM – Elections.

2:30 PM – Following Your Dreams and Forecasting the Weather, Ryan Lukowicz,
Student.

2:45 PM – Tips and Tricks for Staying Healthy, Maureen Nietfeld, NFB sports
and recreation division.

3:05 PM – Words from a National Scholarship Winner, Christopher Bove, Board
Member Mont Hope Chapter.

3:10 PM – BlindShell: A New Accessible Phone and More, Jason Meddaugh, AT
Guys.

3:50 PM – Questions and Wrap Up

4:00 PM – Adjourn, Grace Pires, President.

Virtual Banquet

5:00 PM – Welcome. Molly Faerber, Vice President, NFBRI.

Bring your favorite beverage and join us for our virtual banquet where we
will celebrate 50 years of accomplishments, listen to our keynote address
and have a chance to win door prizes.

*	Greetings and Remarks from Senator Jack Reed.
*	Greetings and Remarks from Representative James Langevin
*	Keynote Address, Jeannie Massay, Treasurer, National Federation of
the Blind and President of the National Federation of the Blind of Oklahoma.

*	Reflections over the last 5 Decades of advocating for the rights of
blind Rhode Islanders, Regina Connor, Secretary, NFB of RI, Cathy Gaffney,
Treasurer Greater Providence Chapter, Angelina Stabile, Treasurer NFB of RI,
Grace Pires, President NFB of RI and John Pimentel, Board Member, NFB of RI.

6:30 PM – Adjourn.

Convention Information

Door prizes will be awarded throughout the convention and banquet.  You must
be present to win. If your name is drawn you can either raise your hand or
unmute yourself and announce your presence.

Please contact the office regarding donating door prizes. We are seeking
cash contributions for ease of distributing to the winners. The prizes will
be digital gift cards.  The winners will be contacted after convention.

Proposed Voting Procedure

Since our convention is virtual, we had to find a way to conduct business in
a different manner. None of these proposals are meant to change our current
constitution.  The convention remains the supreme authority and must approve
any recommendations.

We will conduct our elections and policy adoptions via the Swift platform.

As stated in our constitution only members who are in good standing and have
paid dues are eligible to vote in our elections.

Members must be present during the business meeting in order to participate
in the elections.

Members’ phone numbers have been loaded in to the Swift platform ahead of
time and voting is done by text or call.

The nominating committee will make recommendations to the convention and
nominations will be taken from the floor.  If you plan to make a nomination
from the floor please raise your hand or unmute yourself.

Please be sure that the candidate being nominated is present and able to
accept the nomination.

National Federation of the Blind of Rhode Island

Grace Pires, President

PO. Box 14404, East Providence, RI 02914

(401)433-2606

 <mailto:info at nfbri.org> info at nfbri.org

 <http://www.nfbri.org> www.nfbri.org

President, Grace Pires

Vice President, Molly Faerber

Treasurer, Angelina Stabile

Secretary, Regina Connor

Board of Directors

Rui Cabral

Leslie Fairall

John Pimentel

Robert Pires

The Greater Providence Chapter meets most second Saturdays in East
Providence from 10:00-1:00 PM.  Contact ( <mailto:rui at nfbri.org>
rui at nfbri.org for details.

The Mount Hope Chapter meets most Third Thursdays from 5:30-7:30 pm in
Bristol.  Contact (401)380-6942 or  <mailto:president at mhc.nfbri.org>
president at mhc.nfbri.org for details.

***Please note: in order to adhere to Covid-19 restrictions and keep our
members safe both chapters are meeting on Zoom.