[nfb-db] Deafblind Group Communication

Mussie gmussie9 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:15:08 UTC 2009

John,
I like your comments and thoughtful responses. But I wonder why you place so
much emphasis on cultural variations within the same broader culture
concerning deaf and hearing Americans paired as couples. Individual
experiences and circumstances based on one's abilities, rather than simply
"cultural" differences, largely account for what we have taken for granted
as cultural variations. Of course, I am not saying that Deafness and the
Deaf way are not valid cultural representations of the Deaf community. But
as if I met someone from my own cultural environmental and who shares most
of my upbringing yet finds my interests and tastes conflicting with hers,
this speaks about the differences of personal values and/or the life
experiences that ultimately shape us as individuals. For that reason, deaf
and hearing Americans share mostly broad cultural similarities, and the
differences are not shaped by culture but abilities in regards to
communication and level of enculturation and integration into U.S. society
at large.
By the way, we have tried to set up an anthropology subsection at my school
that focuses on the anthropological approach to understanding people with
deafness and deaf-blindness, but budgeting issues prevented the program from
ever becoming a reality. Let me know of your thoughts on this issue.
Mussie