[nfb-db] Deafblind Group Communication

Mussie gmussie9 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:08:20 UTC 2009

Makes sense, John, and some interesting points you raise. But sometimes I
say "degree of impairment" because in many instance, real communication is
dependent on one's ability to hear or see. Likewise, deaf people may label
themselves 'hard of hearing' and vice versa for reasons of personal and/or
social identity. You can belong to the Deaf community however and whenever
you want regardless of your degree of impairment. For that reason, it
becomes confusing as to how much/how well one is able to hear when one
labels self as 'deaf' or hard of hearing based on identification or
disassociation with the Deaf community. And I have had encounters with
people who are deaf-blind who actually see much better than I'd yet refer to
themselves in ways that it implies they can see absolutely nothing (like one
of my friends who stopped driving 10 years ago and calls himself "normally
sighted" even though he uses a cane now). What we are seeing here is the
problem with labels.