[nfb-db] Deafblind Group Communication

Mussie gmussie9 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:18:59 UTC 2009

Certainly "pressing" might not have been the right word, John. I should
actually have said that I tried to encourage them. The reason for me
attempting to "press" them was a part of my anthropological project to study
cultural patterns and language and how people react to different types of
behaviors that relate to communicate. For instance, it appears to me that
trying to encourage people to appreciate and learn sign language can
backfire depending on cultural factors (for example, here we are highly
individualistic, whereas some of my Asian buddies seemed to readily learn
new approaches to communication). Strictly speaking, the above is
speculation and in no way reflects actual patterns of behavior concerning
language and culture.
In my estimination, if you were distancing yourself from someone because
they didn't learn sign language and you won't allow that person to interact
with you through others intimately related to you, people will actually tend
to perceive it as a pressure on them. I seem to notice this pattern myself.
For example, I have a good friend from the days of junior school, but I tend
to talk more frequently with another friend who knows sign language. The
nonsigning friend eventually told me he feels as though I was pressing him
to learn sign language since I had the option of the SBC to communicate with
him.