[nfb-db] Deafblind Group Communication

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 07:20:25 UTC 2009

Yes, John, every dB person diagnosed with Denial should be injected with
a full dose of reality. I totally agree with you on that part. The
mentality, the intellectual blockout, of people in unfavorable
situations is darkly fascinating. It's like one of those plays where the
audience can see what's going to happen but the main character is
blissfully ignorant of reality. That kind of comedy does have a name,
perhaps audience irony, I don't remember. But the case of closed minded
DB people sounds just like it. Well adapted people can see what's going
on while the stumbling DB person refuses to face up to reality. When
they've been offered information about adaptive technology, information
on blindness techniques and deafness techniques, and yet they still
refuse to acknowledge their life, then supporters can do no more than
sit back and wait for reality to brutally slam into place on its own
terms... It would be so nice if we had more people in the public who
knew exactly what we are capable of and what we are not capable of. A
police officer will scold a person who rides a bike without a helmet,
but find me a police officer who scolds a blind person for walking
outside without a cane. Does the AADB have a rigorous philosophy
comparable to that of the NFB? There are many in the NFB who, if tripped
by a fellow blind person because that guy wasn't using a mobility tool,
would immediately confront the man about his irresponsible travel methods.

Haben