[nfb-db] Deafblind Group Communication

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 08:13:58 UTC 2009

It seems that a db person must just accept that some people will never
learn ASL. As you say Mussie, some will bristle if pressured to learn
sign. But then others will just keep postponing it, never making it a
priority. As John said in an earlier message, such people soon feel
comfortable with their mode of communication, whether SBC or print on
palm...Maybe they don't realize how smooth communication would be with
ASL, or maybe, just maybe, they're not really that interested in keeping
up a dynamic relationship. For most people, ablebodied and disabled, a
social circle includes friendships of varying degrees. So in that sense,
it is normal for a db person to have a few friends who won't take the
time to learn sign, and a few other friends who do learn sign and allow
the relationship to grow even more. Having a "full" social life may mean
having a diverse array of friendships and acquaintances that use an
equally diverse array of communication methods.

Haben