[nfb-db] Communication Options and Technology

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Fri May 15 06:36:00 UTC 2009

Haben:

There are three other options I know of.

One is to use a cell phone and a Braille display that connects wirelessly to
it via Bluetooth.  You hand the other person the cell phone, which you've
already set to the notes program.  I've done this before with my Nokia cell
phone and my Braille Wave.  There are two disadvantages to this, however:
One, the cell phone may be a desirable, famililar item the other person
would be tempted to steal from you; and two, it requires some time to set
things up--turning on both devices, waiting for the cell phone to boot up,
then setting up the notes program . . .  Whereas with the Screen Braille
Communicator, you can just turn it on and it's ready to go right away.

Another option is the Tabli, which you can connect to a HandyTech device
such as the Braille Wave.  The Tabli has a Qwerty board that connects to the
Braille Wave through one cord, and a screen, which is separate, connecting
to it through another cord.  The screen will show in text whatever is going
on in Braille.  Turning on the Wave, you go to File, then New File.  Then
whatever you type on the Wave will show.  Whatever the other person types on
the Qwerty board will show up both on the screen and on your Braille
display.  However, you have four separate things to assemble here: Wave,
Qwerty board, a cord, and the screen.  Worse still, the screen has two
triangles on its back that makes sit stand up on an angle.  This makes
packing it hard, with these two large triangles pointing, and they cannot be
removed.  This requires a surface, on which everything can rest.  The Screen
Braille Communicator has a huge advantage over this because it's just one
piece--I know it has different parts, but still it's functionally one
piece--and you don't need a surface, and you can use it while standing on
the middle of a sidewalk, asking someone for directions or whatever.

Finally, there is the DeafBlind Communicator.  This option is almost like
the first one I listed, with the cell phone replaced by a small pager-like
device with a keyboard and a screen.  Since this item is not a cell phone
and is not a familiar commercial object, I don't think it'd be a target for
theft.  And I believe it turns on right away, leaving only your setting
things up on the mPower display.  However, the DBC is far more expensive
than the SBC.

What I use depends on the situation.  I use the SBC most often for
communicating with waiters, cashiers, salespersons, et al.  Most of the
conversations are brief, often only one turn, in which I order something or
ask for something, and that's all that's needed.  For others, the SBC is
mainly an opportunity to communicate with me if they want to or need
to--such as letting me know that they're out of something or to let me know
what time tomorrow the barber has an opening.  So the Qwerty keyboard
doesn't get much use.  It's nice that I can just turn it on, anywhere, and
it doesn't require a table or anything.  It's easy to pack or just carry
alone.

On more extended trips on which I want the Wave with me anyway, for reading
and texting with my wife or others, I don't need the SBC.  But the main
reason I am bringing the Wave and the cell phone is not to communicate with
people, though that is a bonus.

Traveling out of the state, I usually bring both Wave/cell and SBC.

I often go out with nothing but my cane.  I can just ask for a pen and paper
and write.  That works most of the time.  If the other person needs to tell
me something or ask something, it's easy to do print on palm.  The alphabet
glove is also extremely reliable.

Around here, I am well known, and often Ii just walk in the place and
everything will be ready for me without my writing anything at all.  At some
places, it's a simple gesture that will do.  For example, at D. Bryan's, I
always get either a cheeseburger or a chicken cranberry almond wrap.  I sign
hamburger for the one and sign chicken for the other.  Most places here have
Braille menus, and sosme of them have print alongside the Braille, so you
just point to the item and the waiter can see what it is.  At several
restaurants and stores here, people can sign or at least fingerspell.

Yes, I wish there was a better version of the SBC--one piece, just switch on
and go.  It's nice that some companies are adding stuff to their existing
displays, but I really want a device like the SBC with just one purpose.
But for now, the SBC is better than a lot of stuff for many kinds of
situations.

John

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG.