[nfb-db] Travel

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Mon May 18 07:19:56 UTC 2009

"Some thoughts?" /smile/ Those were many thoughts! I completely understand your need to live in a place where you can be independent. I lived in Alaska for one summer and hated it because the transportation system was so bad that I couldn't go anywhere unless someone was free and could drive me there. Alaska is the land of adventures, and I had many wonderful adventures there, but they all required driving.  I've vowed never to live in a place where I couldn't live independfently. I remember one day I was so mad about the transportation system in Alaska that I walked all the way downtown, a six mile trip that took two hours. I had nothing to do there, but I found a nice cafe I didn't mind entering to rest my feet and get a snack. So yes, I definitely understand the desire to live in an accessible city.

I have to admit I'm still a little confused about SSPs, but I guess I'll have to try them out to realy know what it's all about. I'll have to learn ASL before that can even happen, though.

Oh, I was just thinking of something. Do you wear a pin that says "I am Deafblind?" I remember meeting one woman who does this. Sometimes I have thought that it would be useful. I never have to tell people that I'm blind since they can see my cane and come to this conclusion on their own. What usually happens, though, is they'll see my cane and assume I have extremely good hearing. Wrong! So such a pin would prevent such confusion, but perhaps it would draw unneccesary attention? I'm not sure...

I get what you're saying about your wife and some people's wrong assumption that she babysits you, but there's something very 1950s about the phrase "I'm just his wife." Perhaps you mean your wife is a proud homemaker and stay-at-home mom. If so, then that's conveyed well. Is this the case, though?

Haben