[nfb-db] Travel

Mussie gmussie9 at hotmail.com
Mon May 25 06:34:35 UTC 2009

John,
Wow, that sounds like a movie to me. Or could it be an entirely different
country? It makes me feel like I should go and live there. We constantly
have accessibility issues here, and I am often involved in deliberations
(usually privately) in trying to make things easier for the deaf-blinf. I
wonder what our state is doing with all the money? Your state is way small
in terms of economy (California is the #1 largest economy here in America,
hands down). We have budget issues all the time and there is always haggling
between the governor and the legislature over how to allocote money for
programs and services aimed at people with disabilities.
We don't actually pay tuition at any CA community college if you have SSI or
are a client of Rehab (you fill out a Board of Governors' waiver form),
which is why I stayed so long at the community college taking advantage of a
tuition-free learning environment that is very much intellectually
rewarding. If I go to a university here, too bad I'll have to stay for the
duration of my university studies required to complete a degree, plus I'll
have to pay (Rehab covers most university tuition, but not dorm expenses).
So, it is really odd that Texas and your state are considered the best in
terms of accommodation. How is that the case? How do they get all the money
in spite of their economic woes considering their economies are smaller
compared to CA?
Paratransit in my area recently upgraded to allow same-day services (called
ParaTaxi) you can book online. They also plan to support text message-based
reservation management (including letting you know when the driver is
there). But the main paratransit service that I use kind of sucks.
Unfortunately for me, I live in a suburb that is very deaf-blind-unfriendly,
though I have learned my way around using my GPS and other tools. But
same-day paratransit is making life easier, though it is only within the
city where I live in (for outside the city trips, I use BART or the larger
paratransit service).
Thanks for sharing the info. I appreciate that! And oh, how come Seattle,
which is considered to be the largest deaf-blind community in the US, not be
as accessible as your state?
Mussie