[nfb-db] Deafblind Group Communication

Mussie gmussie9 at hotmail.com
Fri May 29 01:58:06 UTC 2009

John, you once asked how the DBC is a useful device in face to face
conversations at a distance, which the SBC lacks the capability to do so.
The answer is simple: Bluetooth. I don't have to sit facing the person to be
able to communicate comfortably, as this is the case with most SBC models;
rather, the person may sit alongside me, behind me or in another room and
still be able to talk to me. Imagine you are sitting in the van several
seats from the driver, and the driver may not be able to reach out for your
hand (unless your arms are as long as the length from the back to the front
of the van). Instead, the driver can jsut type to you. That is not feasible
with the SBC. Also, I find using the SBC very tedious at times, especially
when I am talking to flight attendants or people standing behind the
counter. The DBC addresses most of the SBC's shortcomings, and I am hoping
HumanWare will further revolutionarize communication with the additional of
a cell phone (if they ahve the financial resources to do so) and making
communication as seamless as it is on the SBC (just switch your device and
instantly get ready like on the SBC).
Speaking of the BrailleWave, you probably use the newer models. I once owned
a BrailleStar and briefly used the BrailleWave, but while it is true that
the menu structure is well-designed, not all info/options were represented
in correct English (U.S.) Braille. I am sure this isn't an issue for you.
Mussie