[nfb-db] Greetings! and what's exactly deafBlindness?

Gerardo Corripio gera1027 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 16:48:24 UTC 2009

Hi listers: I'm Gerardo from Mexico, blind and with 70% hearing loss being
able to compensate with hearing aids, 32 years old and Psychology Major.
Looking through all the lists available, I found this one and my
expectations are very high that I'll learn lots of things from you guys and
vice versa, especially from the perspective of a country where there's no
NFB and one has to find ways of accomplishing tasks, thus bringing me to my
debut question.
I feel very uncomfortable using the word DeafBlind to describe myself, thus
having being used to describe myself as above. does my blindness and
percentage of hearing loss (though with hearing aids I'm able to compensate
fine but with some exceptions) embed with the general definition of
DeafBlindness? What profile does a DeafBlind person have in order to be
considered as such? I find that DeafBlindness are people (like Hellen
Keller) who can't hear or see nothing, thus my question. and lastly, is it
normal my discomfort in viewing myself as DeafBlind? because maybe my gut is
right and I'm not considered DeafBlind? If it's pears or apples, I'm happy
to have joined the list because I've always been curious as how totaly
deafBlind people perceive the world.
Thanks for my accepting me and hope to learn great things from all of you.
Gerardo