[nfb-db] New and introducing myself

Scott Davert scottdavert at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:24:29 UTC 2012

HI marsha.
Yes, it can be very isolating at times. Blindness cuts you off from
driving, but deafness cuts you off from people. That's not to say that
it has to be that way, but for me at least, social situations have
become such a struggle that I'm now basically a person who spends a
lot of time reading and other activities that don't involve using my
hearing.
I understand what you mean about losing your hearing and it scaring
the crap out of you. Mine is slowly going, and it was earlier this
year when I first realized I could no longer hear birds. As I love the
sound of birds, especially in the spring, this hit me hard. Although I
had a career in music before I officially embarked on my current
career in rehabilitation and I very much enjoyed doing this, not
hearing birds anymore and not being able to hear other sounds was more
difficult for me. I guess because I opted to give up playing live
music and producing it, the situation with not being able to hear was
one that was forced on me. And, yes, I'd love to have that hearing
back, but I look at it like I do death. I have to grieve for it and
move on. This is slightly different though I suppose, since everyone
else can hear birds and other noises that I can't. I still like it
when people tell me when they can hear things so that I have the
information and can picture in my head what it may sound like.
I know that a lot of people consider getting cochlear implants and
that most who have gone through portions of their life with decent
hearing seem to have the most success, but I don't have time for
sitting around and all that for several months. My life, even with the
dual disability, is way too busy. Also, I live several hundred miles
from my family, so the time period following the CI surgery would be
an issue for me, since I wouldn't have anyone to help me through that.
My understanding from talking to others is that the first couple of
weeks require one to have a lot of help. I don't have anyone in my
life who is willing to do that. I still will probably have to go
through it at some point, and I'm already preparing for that day, but
I'm dreading it. I have a huge digital library of sound effects that
I've collected from various sources over the past few  years mainly
for this reason. So that when I do get a CI, I can retrain myself to
understand what certain noises sound like all over again very quickly.
I'd say that 90% of everything I've learned in life I've learned on my
own. My knowledge of technology, my values, and everything else have
been formed through my experiences and thoughts. This CI thing  will
be no different. I don't like that, but I've accepted that this is how
it is going to be and that if I have to face things alone, so be it.
No matter what happens, whether I become fully deaf or not, I still
have a brain and the ability to think clearly. I'm still my own
person, and nothing can take that away from me. I suppose that's one
thing losing my hearing has taught me. Yes, it sucks, in a major way,
but I'm grateful for what I still do have because I am having to
endure that experience.
Anyway, that's all for now. I appologize for the lengthy email! Off to
work I go now.

Scott