[nfb-db] Deaf-Blind Interpreting

Tracie Inman tracieinman at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 01:53:51 UTC 2012

Keitei:
 Hi. My name is Tracie Inman and I have just returned from
the National Family Association of the Deaf-Blind Leadership Symposium
in Austin, Texas.  One of the things they talked about during the
information packed weekend was Deaf-Blind Interpreting.  There is a
National Deaf-Blind Interpreter Task Force.  Their website is:  http://www.deafblindinterpreting.org/.  Please consider checking out that website.

 It is important that you complete all of your ASL coursework and obtain
 your bachelors degree for National certification in Sign Language
Interpreting.  There will also be special training for Deaf-Blind
Interpreting.  In order to sit for the National Registry of Interpreting
 for the Deaf National Certification you are required ot have a
bachelor's degree.  Many states are now
 beginning to require national certification for interpreters.

Many organizations serving the Deaf-Blind community are starting to seek
 legislation to strengthen the qualifications for Deaf-Blind
Interpreters. We are in need of more qualified interpreters.  There
needs to be more training classes specifically geared toward
interpreting for the Deaf-Blind.
   You also might want to consider
taking Intervener training which is offered in your home state of Utah.
 Please consider this training as there is so1much valuable information
to gleam from this class.  The website for this information is  http://intervener.org/?page_id=3
    I hope that this information is valuable to you. Good luck in your studies. - Tracie

Tracie Inman
tracieinman at yahoo.com