[nfb-db] More Travel Questions...

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Fri Apr 12 12:50:16 UTC 2013

Hi Kerri,
I don't mean to ignore your questions about cane travel with my inquiry
about the cards.

I want to applaud your persistence despite your fears of traveling
alone. I share those concerns. I have found that my guide dog has helped
with my confidence because she can alert me to traffic sounds that I can
not hear. However, I have to use my judgment about what to do with her
information and what my limited hearing, mental mapping and knowledge of
the environment.

None of us can predict the behavior of others. But if we assume that
most people want to be helpful (even if they don't know how to be),
then, we need to take a proactive position to alert others to our needs.
This is one way in which we can retain our independence and ensure that
we have control in the situation. However, it is hard to acknowledge our
own vulnerabilities to stranger due to a combination of hearing and
vision loss. I think that as a deaf-blind person there might always be a
certain level of fear when traveling alone. This is healthy because it
ensures that we don't take undue risks and makes us always vigilant to
keep up our skills whether it is with a cane or guide dog.
Janice