[nfb-db] Braille Compasses?

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 23:20:02 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone:

One of the biggest tools I used at LCB and still use now is a braille
compass. It helps me with everything since I can't localize. If I
veered into a parking lot or driveway or something I would use it to
help me get back on track by turning the correct cardinal direction.
My instructor let me keep the braille compass he gave me to use during
training as a gift.
Well, a person that I talk to all the time that is a cane travel
instructor in another state just informed me that when he/she has
students with hearing loss he/she can no longer find braille compasses
to give them. I did a google search, and from my looking it seems
braille compasses are no longer made.
Do you all use them, and if so where can you get them now?
Mine is working fine, but if it ever breaks it seems I won't be able
to get a new one.
More importantly with hearing loss, without a braille compass how do
you determine what cardinal direction you are going if there is no
sun? This just kind of alarms me that they are no longer made because
I use mine so much for everything. It helps me orient since I can't
localize.
Is there a newer technology out there or something that is available
now where the braille compasses have become outdated?
I know the Iphone has a compass in it, and I used it a little, but
with hearing in only one ear I can't hear the iphone and listen to the
traffic/environment around me at the same time.
Thanks,
Kerri