[nfb-db] More Travel Questions...

Sammons, Elizabeth Elizabeth.Sammons at rsc.ohio.gov
Mon Apr 15 15:06:35 UTC 2013

All,

I have been following the conversation on crossing streets safely with interest. I guess I can offer a bit from both perspectives, since I am very low vision and use a cane, but because I am hearing more or less still, I am sometimes asked by other blind or d/b friends to go out, etc.. I can tell you from the more or less sighted-hearing perspective, it is extremely stressful for me if someone does *not* take my arm. This is because (1) I am not sure where they may be otherwise and (2) if they are low-hearing or there is simply a lot of noise, I am not sure I can communicate with them safely and in the case of a street crossing, in a timely way. (3) I am booking it across the street, and I do not want to be slowed down by someone slower than I am unless they have a mobility impairment that prevents them from keeping up with me, because again, the crossing time may be limited. So I would like you to think about taking someone's arm if they invite you to do so. I do agree about not having them take your arm.
Hope this perspective does not offend anyone, and I am just sharing for a different view.
Thanks,
Elizabeth from Ohio
Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission - www.rsc.ohio.gov<http://www.rsc.ohio.gov/>
Click to follow us at Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ohio-Rehabilitation-Services-Commission/155300754532533?sk=wall/>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/#!/OHRSC/>, YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/OhioRSCTV?feature=mhee>