[nfb-db] nadb

Randall Pope randy.pope at aadb.org
Mon Aug 5 04:19:20 UTC 2013

Hi Scott and all,

I welcome the opportunity to speak with you.  Just let me know when you will
be in Baltimore.

Janice, I'm sorry that I was not able to be in touch with you as I have a
lot on my plate at the moment in rebuilding AADB, plus I'm with decline
vision loss in the past two years. It's no fun, especially when I used ASL
most of the time.  At the moment, I have been working on ASL tactile plus
picking up on Pro Tactile.  It's not easy for me.   Nevertheless, I'm
willing to free up some time with you if you want to try again.

All, I'm sure that the SSP resolution was created with good intentions.
However I see one or two provision that left me wondering if the DB division
of the NFB really want to work with the ASL DB people.  As many may have
read it, this probably the reasons why most on AADB-L did not responded.

Being hard of hearing myself, I fully understand the plight that many of you
gone through as DB people, including having some issues with DB people who
use ASL as their native language.    At the same, I see that the DB people
using ASL are having basically the very same issues with the HOH DB people.
Keep in mind that the culturally ASL DB live in a different culture world
than the hoh DB, similar to the English and Hispanic people, two different
set of people living in two different cultures.  In a nutshell, it's simply
a lack of understand of each other is the heart of the problem.

Lastly, I would like to leave with you this thought:  "To understand a
person, one must walk in his or her shoes."

Randy Pope