[nfb-db] Fwd: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Comments on Belgian Euthanasia of Deaf Men Losing Sight

Alicia Richards alicianfb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:21:21 UTC 2013

Hi, all. Scott, I do agree with you on a couple points. First, more research
should have been done. I will freely admit I did not do that research, but
nor had I made any strong judgments about this yet.  I strongly suspected
that there was more to the story than deaf-blindness, though I had not
actually looked into it.  There usually is more to a story than gets
reported.  It's obvious you did do your research, and I applaud you for it.
I'm still not quite sure what to think of the situation, other than that it
is sad.  I do worry that government aided euthanasia could lead down a very
slippery slope for those with disabilities, but that's not really relevant
to this particular discussion, which involves the NFB's handling of it.

I do also agree that it was in very poor taste for the press release to
follow up the paragraph about this story with one asking for donations.  I
understand the Federation is not in the best of financial situations right
now, as demonstrated by them laying off 20 people from the National Center.
I understand we do need fund-raising and money to carry on the movement and
the work of the Federation. However, that press release, and it's emotional
and weighty subject matter, was not at all the time and the place for such a
request. I truly wish they had not asked for a donation at all, but since
they were going to, they could have presented it in a far better light.  The
way they asked seemed in no way connected with the preceeding paragraph
about this sad event.  If they were going to ask for money, ask for it to
help support education about deaf-blindness, both in the US and worldwide or
something along those lines. The NFB doesn't pay enough attention to
deaf-blind issues as it is, and this demonstrates it all the more.

Roxe, I too wish they had gotten a comment from a deaf-blind person.  I
think it would have been appropriate.  But given the NFB past press releases
on other issues, they rarely ask additional comments of anyone.  Usually
they are simply a statement from President Maurer.  So, though you are
right, this is in keeping with their usual practice.  It's unfortunate, but
standard.

Alicia