[nfb-db] SSP's

Scott Davert scottdavert at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 16:33:50 UTC 2013

On 7/8/13, Janice Toothman <janice.toothman at verizon.net> wrote:
> Maurice,
> I would hope that you do not get any flaming emails either.  I do not
> know if any actual legislation regarding the SSP resolution will make it
> to the 113-114 Congress  this year but we need to start working to fine
> tune next years resolutions so that when the Federation feels that the
> Deaf-Blind issues within the Federation are significant and we have
> power within the NFB organization then we need to be prepared for when
> we will present it so that we have our facts ready.
>
> I found it a challenge to locate information on SSP.  The AADB has
> written information as well as the HKNC but we need independent research.
>
> I will post the Resolutions later today or tomorrow.  I am waiting for
> Sharon Maneki to get back to me about the final version of the SSP
> resolution since the Affiliate president's had wanted to change several
> words before getting agreeing to vote in favor during the Committee
> meeting.
>
> I will also be posting the minutes for the Deaf-Blind Division Meeting
> sometime in the next two weeks.
> Janice
> On 7/8/2013 1:54 PM, Maurice Mines wrote:
>>   good morning, I've a few observations that might be considered somewhat
>> controversial. And some questions. I think that it is great to work with
>> Helen Keller, and the American Association of the deaf blind, but we must
>> stay true to that view of the national Federation of the blind. So I think
>> we need to do everything we can to help support our effort to in sub
>> minimum wages more sheltered shop workers. I might add here that some are
>> probably deft line. I think that it is also important that we get involved
>> in our chapter's interstate affiliates and help out whatever they're
>> doing. I have a question about the SSP resolution, and that is simply
>> this, how are we going to convince a skeptical Congress at best to put
>> money into this program, when many states rely on matching money to run
>> their programs and have eliminated some services that effect some portion
>> of the vocational rehabilitation population. And those agencies that are
>> blindness specific I don't think either understand the
>>   issue, or just plain don't have the funds either in state or using the
>> matching federal dollars that of course have restrictions attached to
>> them? I know that you mention getting ready to talk to people at the
>> Washington seminar about this issue but I think it is critical that this
>> issue is not part of the national list of priorities that we not confuse
>> and/or blur the issues that are in their? I guess one time say is if the
>> issues are in the legislative priorities for the 114th 113 Congress second
>> session I think, that those of us that go to the Washington seminar stay
>> on message. And do not stray into things that will confuse staffers and/or
>> legislators? I hope everyone takes time to read my thoughts, and I hope I
> [...]
Hi all.
AADB is currently transitioning in to a new administration. They have
a new president as of July 1. I will email them and inform them of the
resolution that was passed, but I'd like the exact wording before
proceeding. At the present time, AADB isn't doing much in the way of
advancing things through congress because of its financial status. its
priorities have shifted to trying to stay alive, as they no longer
have an office or the ability to hire people to do certain tasks. SO
the Board of Directors are taking on all secretarial and other duties.
So I'm not sure what help they can provide at the moment.
As for the HKNC side of things: the SSP program is very much in its
infancy in the NYC area. HKNC has hired someone to begin coordinating
SSP services to tstudents at HKNC as well as deaf-blind staff. At this
time, HKNC are focused on running this program at the center. once
that has had some success, I think their plan is to expand it.
So that's where things are at the moment with AADB and HKNC as I
understand it. Working at HKNC and being a former board member of
AADB, I think I have a pretty good idea where things stand, but if
anyone knows different, please say so.

Thanks for reading!
Scott