[nfb-db] Deaf-blind resolutions

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Fri Jul 19 19:52:56 UTC 2013

Hi Scott,
Was this the one I sent before convention? The Resolution committee had
wanted to change some words. That is why I have not post it.

However, I will post the TSA, even though it did not get passed this
year because Sharon Maneki's comments to me after the resolutions were
voted on in general session that we should have as many deaf-blind
members try for pre-checking and be ready to clarify the working or
purpose based on that information.

WHEREAS, because of the terrorist acts that occurred on September 11,
2001, the U.S. government created the Transportation Security
Administration (TSA) to screen all commercial airline passengers and
baggage to strengthen the security of the nation’s transportation
systems; and

WHEREAS, in response to complaints by airline passengers about security
checkpoints and procedures, the Obama administration established the TSA
Pre-check (ü^TM ) program; and

WHEREAS, the TSA Pre-check (ü^TM ) program allows qualified,
pre-screened travelers who are considered to be a low security risk to
move through security more easily by allowing them to keep on their
shoes, belts, and jackets, and to leave laptops and liquids in bags
while being screened; and

WHEREAS, individuals who are deafblind use mobility aids such as canes
or service animals, or use hearing aids, have medical implants, or other
assistive technologies, frequently require assistance to comply with
security procedures; and

WHEREAS, because of their circumstances, these travelers are frequently
subject to a pat-down search and required to wait off to the side for
gender-appropriate TSA personnel to assist them; and

WHEREAS, TSA personnel often do not understand the purpose of mobility
aids and assistive technologies, which leads to embarrassing and
humiliating experiences for the traveler; and

WHEREAS, participation in the TSA Pre-check (ü^TM ) program is currently
limited to frequent travelers who are invited by participating airlines,
or current members of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s Trusted
Traveler programs; and

WHEREAS, deafblind individuals who supply the necessary background
personal information should have the same opportunity to apply for the
TSA Pre-check (ü^TM ) program regardless of frequency of travel: Now,
therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind, in convention
assembled this fifth day of July, 2013, in the city of Orlando, Florida,
that this organization strongly urge the Transportation Security
Administration to expand its criteria to permit qualified deafblind
travelers to be accepted into the TSA Pre-check (ü^TM ) program.

Janice
Secretary
Deaf-Blind Division/NFB