[nfb-db] FCC to distribute assistive technology to people with combined hearing and vision loss

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Thu Mar 21 18:43:53 UTC 2013

Hi sheila,
Deaf-blindness takes many forms depending on the reason for the hearing
and vision loss. The degree of vision loss and hearing loss that is
necessary or sufficient to be considered deaf-blind depends on the
situation. So the deaf-blind division has people have low vision and
totally deaf or blind and hard of hearing or your case hearing loss in
one ear. But that impairment would affect your ability to do things in
variety of situations and to differing degrees.

However, for the Ican connect. I believe for the FCC I can Connect, they
use the Helen Keller National Center definition of deaf-blindness and I
am not sure exactly what that is.
Janice Toothman
Secretary,
deaf-blind division