[nfb-db] Orlando 2013 National Convention

Scott Davert scottdavert at gmail.com
Wed May 22 20:32:31 UTC 2013

I also wish I could go to Orlando, but I do not have the vacation time to take from work nor the frominances it would take. I was asked by a couple of people to do another presentation on deaf-blindness this summer, but I just can't afford it.
I think lack of understanding is the biggest reason people react the way they do toward people who are deaf-blind. And because other people who may have experienced someone else with a hearing loss or other issue, they would be less likely to publicly admit that, they too, ha"e this as an issue. I think some of this also stems from the rigidity of attitudes. People somehow seem to think that if you follow a certain formula, you will be socially accepted and successful in life. And those who do not subscribe to your mold of what is acceptable to succeed should be shunned. This is not limited to the blindness community or any disability community either, even people without disabilities have the same struggle if their beliefs differ from whatever the conventional way of doing things is. That's not to say it's right or that this justifies such treatment, because it certainly doesn't, but no matter the situation, people often respond to something outside of what they know in insensitive ways. All we can do is try to educate people about our struggles and try to be justas  open to their struggles.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2013, at 3:59 PM, Janice Toothman <janice.toothman at verizon.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> My regional HKNC representative in my area who completed my form for the National Deaf-Blind equipment Distribution Program also suggested that I go to HKNC and receive the skills of living instead or receiving them piecemeal and for only several hours a week one day every week or so.  I feel like when will I have the time to commit because I have my internship this coming fall.  Then I have to do my 3000 hours before I can be licensed as a professional counselor and can start really earning money (hopefully).
>
> However, I really want to change to policy and beliefs of people in the Federation so that the Wake-up to the fact that as they age they will likely loose their hearing.  We have to raise awareness of this issues as well as the fact that there are more deaf-blind people in the Federation than Affiliate presidents know because many individual do not want to admit themselves that they are deaf-blind much less identify themselves to others that they have some degree of both vision  and hearing loss.
>
> I am so thankful to God that I had Destiny at National Convention, otherwise I would not be able to navigate.  She would remember where my seat was in general assembly at take me to it with the command "find my seat", if I had left to use the restroom or break Destiny.
> I wish that people understood.  I had banquet because I generally can't hear what the person next to me is saying. I can hear what the speakers are saying when I plug the FM receiver the NFB passes into my Icom so it feeds directly into my hearings.
> Janice
> On 5/22/2013 9:15 AM, Marsha Drenth wrote:
>> Janice,
>>
>> I seriously wish I could go to convention this year. I can't afford. If only to go to the DB division meeting.
>>
>> Well, Janice please tell the board that I am more than happy to help in any way possible. I mean that. I will do whatever needs to be done.
>>

>> Marsha drenth
>> Sent with my IPhone
>>
>> On May 22, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Janice Toothman <janice.toothman at verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The Deaf-Blind Division will hold its meeting on July 2.
>>> Registration begins at 6:00PM
>>> Business meeting begins at 7:00PM-8:00PM
>>> Election of all Officers
>>> A moment of Silence to honor Second-Vice President Bob Eschach, who died last year.
>>> Topics of concern
>>> Helen Keller Celebration 8:00-9:00PM
>>> The celebration includes guest speakers and cake and drinks
>>>
>>> Are there any particular topics that people on this list want to cover?
>>> Also, if you need interpreting for the meeting please let me know what type of interpreting services you require and whether you have applied for assistance with the Jernigan Institute.
>>> Secretary,