[nfb-db] Orlando 2013 National Convention

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Thu May 23 02:46:28 UTC 2013

Janice,
We have the same HKNC rep, Cynthia. If I go to HKNC in the fall, I will be putting off my senior year of school with internship. I am not sure I want to do that yet. my husband and I are going on a tour of HKNC in June to see the facility. It inevitable that I will go to HKNC, its a matter of when now.

I see your point and feel your concern for the time issue. i guess the only thing that would be is that if you are functioning well at present, then you can wait on going to HKNC. Otherwise if your struggling, then going to HKNC might help your last year of school, might help your internship be more successful, and in the long run help with employment. All of the arguements that were made for me to go soon.

Marsha drenth
Sent with my IPhone

On May 22, 2013, at 3:59 PM, Janice Toothman <janice.toothman at verizon.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> My regional HKNC representative in my area who completed my form for the National Deaf-Blind equipment Distribution Program also suggested that I go to HKNC and receive the skills of living instead or receiving them piecemeal and for only several hours a week one day every week or so.  I feel like when will I have the time to commit because I have my internship this coming fall.  Then I have to do my 3000 hours before I can be licensed as a professional counselor and can start really earning money (hopefully).
>
> However, I really want to change to policy and beliefs of people in the Federation so that the Wake-up to the fact that as they age they will likely loose their hearing.  We have to raise awareness of this issues as well as the fact that there are more deaf-blind people in the Federation than Affiliate presidents know because many individual do not want to admit themselves that they are deaf-blind much less identify themselves to others that they have some degree of both vision  and hearing loss.
>
> I am so thankful to God that I had Destiny at National Convention, otherwise I would not be able to navigate.  She would remember where my seat was in general assembly at take me to it with the command "find my seat", if I had left to use the restroom or break Destiny.
> I wish that people understood.  I had banquet because I generally can't hear what the person next to me is saying. I can hear what the speakers are saying when I plug the FM receiver the NFB passes into my Icom so it feeds directly into my hearings.
> Janice
> On 5/22/2013 9:15 AM, Marsha Drenth wrote:
>> Janice,
>>
>> I seriously wish I could go to convention this year. I can't afford. If only to go to the DB division meeting.
>>
>> Well, Janice please tell the board that I am more than happy to help in any way possible. I mean that. I will do whatever needs to be done.
>>

>> Marsha drenth
>> Sent with my IPhone
>>
>> On May 22, 2013, at 6:25 AM, Janice Toothman <janice.toothman at verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The Deaf-Blind Division will hold its meeting on July 2.
>>> Registration begins at 6:00PM
>>> Business meeting begins at 7:00PM-8:00PM
>>> Election of all Officers
>>> A moment of Silence to honor Second-Vice President Bob Eschach, who died last year.
>>> Topics of concern
>>> Helen Keller Celebration 8:00-9:00PM
>>> The celebration includes guest speakers and cake and drinks
>>>
>>> Are there any particular topics that people on this list want to cover?
>>> Also, if you need interpreting for the meeting please let me know what type of interpreting services you require and whether you have applied for assistance with the Jernigan Institute.
>>> Secretary,