[nfb-db] nfb-db Digest, Vol 57, Issue 12

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 15:41:06 UTC 2013

Janice and All,
I completely agree with you in this regard. Although the NFB for many years had a deafblind division, still we haven't until recently been accepted. Not that we are completely now, but as we have all seen, that trend is changing. Its the same with the guide dog division, for many years persons who use guides dogs were brushed off for their choice. No longer, NAGDU has worked hard to change that thinking. We as deafblind people are starting to stand up for our rights, we have a long way to go but will get there. I suppose if I have anything to do with it..

I have also used the assistive listening devices at convention, two years ago. We came to convention with my own batteries, with my own ear buds and other related equipment that would connect it to my hearing aids. In the long run it still did not work. Its incredibly frustrating. Two years ago, when the ALD worked, I could hear, today if I tried to use one, that would probably not be the case.

Does anyone know anything about the ALD's used at conventions? Whose are they? When were they purchased? And would there be a better options now? And is this something that the deafblind division should look at taking over?

Just some thoughts...

Marsha drenth
Sent with my IPhone