[nfb-db] nfb-db digest volume 57 issue 12

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 13:11:38 UTC 2013

Hello, Randy and all,
I am DB, being born blind, and deafened 6 years ago as a result of hurricane Katrina and the resulting mold after the flood— I'm allergic to mold.
Anyway... I learned ASL tactually with a private teacher.  My rehab councilor paid for this.
Randy, I find and interesting about the facial expressions.  I have never been able to see facial expressions, however, my ASL teacher as well as others have commented that I have very good facial expression.  It took a little practice— one entire ASL lesson was devoted to making faces.  It was hillarious.  Also, before I lost my hearing, I was a professional singer and theater performer, so have had years of training on expressive nonverbal communication which probably came in handy when I became deaf.  I'm also a dog trainer and since dogs understand best the language of face and body I have a lot of practice.  So all this to say you do need to practice skills of facial and body movements but that it is possible.
Rox

Sent from my iPhone