[nfb-db] My thoughts on training centers blind, and deaf blind.

Scott Davert scottdavert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 23:42:17 UTC 2013

Hi  Maurice.
Every training program has its advantages and disadvantages-- the NFB
centers are not without either of those. I think that anyone who is in
this field for a paycheck really must be clueless, because the pay is
not good no matter where you go. Unless you talk about the VA, in
which case, I'm sure they have a few that are there for this reason.
While it is certainly possible that a training facility may work best
for one person, it will never work best for everyone. With respect to
CCB specifically, I know that at least 5 people with a combined vision
and hearing loss who have come away from the experience with good
blindness training, but all reported that no one knew how to
appropriately take the hearing loss in to account when combined with
the vision. These are not things I am saying, but that former students
with combined vision and hearing loss are saying. I cannot deny or
confirm any of it, just passing what I've heard along.
On the other hand, some people, I know particularly from LCB, have had
some positive experiences, so I suppose we're back to the same old
conclusion about how no one center or program is right for everyone. I
know from spending time as a student at the Michigan Commision for the
Blind Training Center, which is run very similarly to an NFB center,
that one of the struggles is the social aspect. Not even so much
isolation, though that is an issue, but of other blind people's
terrible attitude toward those who also have a vision loss. That's not
to say all blind people treat those with hearing impairments
differently, but socially, in a place where everyone relies on their
hearing, and you don't have enough to do this, it makes for a tough
time. But if you can manage that environment, and if professionals
actually understand how to compensate  properly for both losses, I'm
sure deaf-blind people would find it enjoyable.

Scott