[nfb-db] Your input on accessible voting is needed!

Blake, Lou Ann LBlake at nfb.org
Tue Nov 12 13:48:54 UTC 2013

Dear List Members:

As one of the activities the National Federation of the Blind is conducting under our 2013-2014 Help America Vote Act (HAVA) grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, we are hosting a focus group of deaf-blind voters. The purpose of this focus group is to learn from deaf-blind individuals about the types of barriers they currently face in casting a private and independent ballot, and about the types of personal access technology used by the deaf-blind that could remove these barriers. This information will be provided to voting technology researchers and developers during a seminar hosted by the NFB in December 2013.

The focus group will be conducted via the NFB deaf-blind listserv. A total of four questions will be posted to the list one at a time for discussion and input from the list members.

The first question for the focus group is:

1.     What are the barriers you currently face that prevent you or make it difficult for you to cast a private and independent ballot?

Please respond to this question by 8:30 a.m. EST on Thursday, November 14, 2013. The second question for the focus group will be posted to the list on Thursday, November 14.

Thank you in advance for your participation in this important discussion! If you have any questions, please contact:
          Lou Ann Blake, HAVA Project Manager
          National Federation of the Blind
          lblake at nfb.org<mailto:lblake at nfb.org>
          410-659-9314, ext. 2221.

Take the stress out of this year's holiday shopping with NFB's Bid for Equality national online auction: Black Friday, Nov. 29, to Giving Tuesday, Dec. 3. View our must-have donations and register<http://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/AuctionHome.action?vhost=bid-for-equality> to make your Bid for Equality. The future is in your bid!