[nfb-db] Why the UN Convention matters and why we must support it

Mussie gmussie9 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 12 22:05:54 UTC 2013

Dear fellow citizens,
Let us briefly look at the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities,
and why we must work to defeat misinformed efforts to seek the failure of the CRPD.
Some political groups are pushing hard to defeat the CRPD because they assert it
threatens American sovereignty, among other things. But not only is this wrong –
the Convention draws inspiration from the Americans with Disabilities Act, which
was passed with 91 senators voting favorably in 1990. With more than 100 ratifications
so far, why would these groups think the U.S. should not ratify something that its
own national law inspired? It doesn’t make sense for a nation to endeavor to enact
a landmark disability rights legislation but object to the ADA for the entire world.
Moreover, the assumption that the Convention would affect U.S. laws and allow world
bodies to determine the direction of disability rights in America is just simply
untrue and, in fact, threatens America’s image and contradicts its commitment to disability
rights at home.
Now, there is an opportunity for anyone who cares about equality to send a message
to the U.S. Senate, by signing a petition below. You are also letting the few groups
who are working to defeat the Convention know how their actions could negatively
impact Americans with disabilities, veterans and everyone else who care about our
global leadership and the advancement of human rights worldwide. You are also making
it easier for our communities to further advance disability rights at home.
Sign the petition and spread the message. Don’t let the opportunity to have an impact
slip away. Forward this to anyone. The more signatures there are, the more pressure
on the Senate. If you haven’t already made your voice heard, please go here:
http://www.petition2congress.com/12320/show-your-commitment-to-liberty-justice-around-world-america/
.
Thank you so much,