[nfb-db] Second Question for Deaf-Blind Focus Group on Accessible Voting

maurice mines kd0iko at icloud.com
Sat Nov 16 20:26:44 UTC 2013

My thoughts on what would be myOptimal voting situation, one I think that there needs to be a way for people who have refreshed bold braille devices to be put to use them during the voting process. Two barring that I think those of us who have Bluetooth capable hearing aid systems should possibly be allowed to plug them into the machine if possible so that we don’t need to use the provided headphones. That way we would be possible for our own volume level. Three as has been noted here before proper training of poll workers is critical. Here in Clark County Washington where I voted recently, the longtime poll worker did know how to fix the machine when it developed a problem. So I was able to cast my ballot. Taking all that into consideration it still took me just about an hour to complete the ballot. That’s why I think using refreshable braille and allowing Bluetooth capable hearing aid systems to be plugged into the voting machine would possibly speed this process along. The other thing I would like to see it states to be encouraged to come up with braille ready files that would constitute the voters pamphlet. Getting an audio version which is the case here in Washington state, but quite difficult to listen to, and take appropriate notes with. So a professional braille ready file would be extremely helpful, that way there is not the cost associated with printing a braille voters pamphlet. I hope these suggestions will help the help America vote project out?

Sincerely Maurice mines.  voicemail phone, 360-524-0791. School/work email address, maurice.mines at pcc.edu.

PS the person that wanted to cast his ballot over the Internet I think that a lot more needs to be done in the area of network security before I would feel comfortable casting my ballot over the Internet. So for now I think getting up and going to a polling place and using the accessible machines and/or voting with a trusted friend in the comfort of your own home is still the best and most secure way of casting a ballot.