[nfb-db] cartts

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 01:25:09 UTC 2013

You mean like CART as in Captioning access in Real Time? If this is what you mean, yes. I used this to keep up with classes last semester. The university employed the local captioning company, the captioner would come to all of my classes with her computer andn steno machine. On her laptop, she ran NVDA. She would type, which would go into her program, and then be exported in a word document. It would export the text instantly, so there was no delay. I used a focus 40 braille display. The captioner types fast, up to 280 words a minute. So in order for this to be useful for the deafblind person they must have excellent braille skills. The other issue with this process, is that the captioner has to be a little bit techie and knowledgable with computers. Its not that NVDA is hard to set up, but there are frequent problems. Before I came along, the captioning company used here, which services almost everything to do with captioning here in the Philadelphia area, they had never done this. They had never heard of this being done, or anyone DB requiring it. For the record, I read braille well, but I was also supplementing the braile with my hearing. If I were to return back to school, I would probably need to rely on this method completely. Or use a tactual terp full time. In other words I did not read every single word, at that time, but was able to read what I missed. Its a great tool, one that I think more DB should partake in.

Marsha drenth
Sent with my IPhone