[nfb-db] Tactile Signing

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 02:38:54 UTC 2013

Oh, I see. again I am not an expert. I think for signs that are around the head, are differentiated by how high or low they are. For example father is on the forehead, so that sign would be high. And mother would be lower. If your about the same height as the person your signing with, this is easier to understand the position. Signs might be brought right to the face, but will be close. When your learn at first the signs should be crispy and clear. For mother and father, the signs use a 5 hand shape, again at different height. The same goes for soon, a S hand shape on the chin, and stupid, S hand shape on the forehead.

my suggestion to finding other DB persons in your area, is to get involved in different email lists. Like for example there are several others ones for DB. Like the AADB, DB parents. A google search might help you find some of those lists. You could go even further to find other deaf people, like in NAD. Or another resource would be an organization called HLAA, Hearing Loss Association of america. Although most of these people are going to be hard of hearing, you might find others who are either visually impaired, or who might be able to teach you sign.

I hope all of this has helped in some small way!

Marsha drenth
Sent with my IPhone