[nfb-db] Telecommunications Equipment for Deaf-Blind Persons

Randy Pope randy.pope at aadb.org
Sun Oct 27 16:41:53 UTC 2013

Danielle and all,

Your situation is a perfect example of the public, not understanding the definition of a DeafBlind (DB) person.  I have encounter this issue so many times before, people asking of this person is DB or not.  I’m also hard of hearing and legally blind. Like you, not many people would know unless I bring my cane along.  Even then, there are a few people who questioned me if I’m truly blind or hard of hearing or both.

I’m also quite fluently in ASL and tactile signing quite often in areas where there is not enough lighting.  Presently, I’m using Pro Tactile which further help me in gaining visual information.

As far as DB public awareness goes, this is only the tip of the huge iceberg.  So much need to be done.

Randy