[nfb-db] knew to the list

heather albright kd5cbl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 18:04:25 UTC 2013

Hello, I am taking my first ASL class at the community college!  I am taking
this course because I want to communicate with my deaf-blind friends and I
myself have hearing difficulties!  I wanted to know if there is a brailled
manual for the letters!  I received several audio books and one braille book
however, they don't describe how to make the signs!  I thought they would
after all the materials are from a blindness organization!  I tried to
e-mail the Helen Keller foundation and never received a response!  I have
tactile interpreters for in class!  However,  I don't have anyone who can
work with me outside of class!  I have only been to the deaf-blind chat here
in Austin once!  It was not a pretty nice experience!  The sighted deaf were
talking amongst themselves and the so called interpreters for the deaf-blind
were talking to themselves ignoring the people they were supposed to help!
So my friends and I have not been back!  We communicate with our braille
displays on the note-takers for now!  But I think there might be a better
way!  I also work with refugees who are deaf and found that Iwas the only
one who wanted to take ASL so I could at least communicate with the deaf
refugees!  I already work with blind refugees, as a volunteer.  Thank you,
Heather Albright
Heather Albright
"When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in
our life, or in the life of another." Helen Keller
contact: voice and text:
512-680-3985
skype: cynterline
e-mail: