[nfb-db] knew to the list

heather albright kd5cbl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 05:54:10 UTC 2013

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it all!  Also thinks for describing the
letters for me!  Today it was all facial expressions to communicate; that
was interesting!  I did run in to another blind student who is in a level
higher and he told me that he would help me one on one; he goes to the same
coledge campus!  I work with blind and apparently deaf refugees, mostly from
the middle east and Africa!  Smiles, I really have an interesting time
because I have two or three disabilities, depending on how you look at it!
I also have MS!  And disability is seen as a tabu for people from that part
of the world!  To suddenly land in this country alone, no language and than
find that you have to work with a disabled person who is relatively
independent on her own!  The first thing they want to know after much
communication "where is your family... you live alone.... how!"  We take so
much for granted, there was a girl from Somalia, who never went to school
because she was blind.  So she could not communicate or read or do anything
by herself.  Because she was not socialized within that culture, it was hard
to get a frame of reference to teach her any skills!  How do you tell some
to read a book when they have never seen a book or have used real language
that has reference to every day conceps.  She  was 20 years old.  Think
about how you were at 20! Just one extreme example!  But, I do some
connecting to resources to make it easier!  Heather