[nfb-db] rules in the ASLlab

M Lucca lucca.marisa at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 00:15:04 UTC 2013

Maurice,

You pose an interesting question: student vs. professional. As a Graduate
Assistant at the University of North Florida, and as a Deaf-Blind person
myself, I constantly consider both sides. However, the bottom line is every
student with a disability has a right to reasonable accommodations. The
university's student disability office should be a facilitator of student
disability services; that is, they should help advocate for the
accommodations for which students have a right to request, and they should
have the professionalism to enforce ADA regulations and university policies
regarding student rights. In Heather's situation, I see no excuse for the
instructor's behavior, nor do I see an excuse for the university/college
overall (assuming Heather is attending such an institution).

While both sides may have valid arguments, the bottom line is equal access.
Thus, efforts should be made to provide reasonable accommodations.

Marisa