[nfb-db] Are you listening to music?

Scott Davert scottdavert at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 07:20:51 UTC 2014

Hello Gerardo.
Regarding what it looks like, if it works for you and is the most functional, I'd say use it. Especically if you do not mind the earbuds. I personally do not use them, but that doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.
As others have suggested, you may wish to investigate various bluetooth options which will offer a wireless experience directly connected to your hearing aids. What is compatible depends on which model of hearing aids you have. For example, Resound makes one, Phanak makes  another, and older hearing aids may not support bluetooth at all. I often just plug headphones in to my iPhone and use it that way, because the connection is wired and I've personally found it's more clear than any of the bluetooth solutions on the market. Some things to be aware of regarding bluetooth connections are that if bluetooth is constantly trunning on both your hearing aids and phone, both will have much less battery life. Also, bluetooth is not perfect and is more prone to issues related to losing the connection between the 2 devices. Also, in my personal experience, there is sometimes a delay with VoiceOver speech when using bluetooth. The delay isn't such a  problem for typing a quick text, but becomes one if you rely on speech and need to complete a task more quickly that is more  complicated. Also, sometimes the beginning of when VoiceOver starts speaking can get chopped off and many devices will time  out  after about 20 seconds of no audio. This means that if you want the bluetooth to stay connected while you wait for some audio, it may not do so. On the positive side, bluetooth is wireless, can be configured to switch your hearing aids immediately when you answer a call, and you can have an audiologist set up your hearing aids to allow the bluetooth audio to be the only thing you hear, or you can even have both the external microphones and bluetooth going at the same time. that said, some hearing aids do not support all of the things I've listed, and some devices seem more laggy than others when ussoing them with VoiceOver. I hope this info is somewhat helpful!

Cheers from Las Vegas!
Scott
Sent from my iPhone