[nfb-db] About This Group List

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Thu Mar 20 11:49:05 UTC 2014

Good morning, Shadow!

Welcome to the NFB DB Division.  I, too, have RP and am HOH.  I wear
bi-lateral hearing haids.  But I did not grow up knowing that I had RP.  I
found out as an adult at the age of 28 and had to give up driving.  I was
able to see to read print and see people's faces to read lips to accommodate
for what I could hear for about 22 years after I was diagnosed with RP.
That means when I turned 50 almost 6 years ago, I struggled with what to do
as I could not longer see to do things that I kept doing as a sighted
person.

Since I grew up wearing hearing aids, I never considered myself a 'deaf'
person and can remember someone telling me 'oh, you're deaf' when I told
them I wore hearing aids.  I quickly responded and told them 'oh, no, I can
hear something'.

So six years ago when I began to struggle with vision loss, I finally met
many who were dealing with similar issues and I recognized that I was
Deaf-Blind.  Once I was able to define this, I soon went to Helen Keller
National Center (January 2011 -- September 2011) where I learned much about
my specific needs.  HKNC is a great place to learn all you can about
resources and gives a great sense of confidence.

Since returning home, I have continued to learn and made great progress.
How long were you at HKNC?  Also, if you are home, are you learning Braille
through Hadley's?

That was how I completed my Braille...through Hadley School for the Blind.
The Braille teacher at HKNC was very good and so glad I got the beginnings
of it there and the teacher at Hadley was also very good.  I use Braille in
my everyday life but I am not that fluent because I have not made myself sit
and read as I should.  Need to get myself back on track there.  I use
Braille in business meetings, identifying things in my home and I also use
it often when playing cards.  My family loves to play canasta and I missed
playing it.  Now I can play it again!  (smile)  My sister (who is sighted)
and I always play partners against our spouses and we win the majority of
the time!

Take your time learning Braille.  It can be daunting as times but very
rewarding when it is completed.

Anyway, This list is a good source for information and sharing.  I do have a
question...you state that you have been Deaf-Blind all your life.  When did
you find out about your RP?

Have a Thrilling Thursday!!

(smile)
Darlene