[nfb-db] Hearing Aids

Trish Hubschman palhub at optonline.net
Fri Mar 21 14:10:41 UTC 2014

You've got that right.

Trish

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-db [mailto:nfb-db-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Gerardo
Corripio
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 9:58 AM
To: NFB Deaf-Blind Division Mailing List
Subject: Re: [nfb-db] Hearing Aids

  Wow here in where I am, the hearing aid person with whom I go, doesn't
seem to take seriously or I don't know, but he thinks every hearing aid
person hears the same; for instance he doesn't have equipment like you guys
mention to evaluate, thus he leaves it to me to tell him if Ihear sounds
OKor not. another thing? I seem to know more than he does, especially
because he doesn't seem to understand when I tell him of my MT setting on my
old hearing aids; he insists that there's no such thing!

El 21/03/2014 07:52 a.m., Darlene Laibl-Crowe escribió:
> I've worn hearing aids since I was a child and I can tell you that the
> new models of HAs are wonderful!  I've had Siemens before and still
> have my old ones as a backup.  When I went to HKNC I was introduced to
> Phoneak and the assistive devices that are paired with them and they are
absolutely amazing.

> I got a new pair of HAs about 3 to 4 weeks ago with the updated
> ComPilot, Mic and TV link.  I've used the Mic at the gym and my
> trainer speaks into it so I can hear what she has to say; however, it
> also picks up much of the background so there is much to be done about
> that.  I am scheduled to go back to my audiologist for follow up and
> adjustments next week.  I have not used the TV link yet but hope to
> soon.  The ComPilot is a Bluetooth neck loop that is paired to
> anything that has Bluetooth capacity:  Laptop, iPhone, Cell Phone,
> Tablets, Braille Displays and on.  But it is not accessible to
> landline phones unless you get one that has Bluetooth capacity.  Not sure
what brands have that ability.

> I use an iPhone which works well as speaker phone and I can hear
> clearly with my ComPilot.  What does the ComPilot do?  It is like
> those ear pieces that hearing people use when driving...hands free.
> The caller's voice goes right into the ear and no phone to the ear.
> When I receive a call, all I have to do is push a button on the neck
> loop that is hanging around my neck and say 'hello'.  There is a mic
> at the top of that button and it picks up your voice.  Then when the
> caller speaks the sound goes right into my hearing aids.  The sound is
> clear because some of the background noise has been muted so I am able
> to focus on the caller.  It isn't perfect but it is much better than
> putting the phone to the ear or using the landline without clarity.  There
are lots of brand out there and some have the same devices.
> Just have to do your homework and ask questions.
>
> Also, another fact, my range of hearing loss is at different ranges,
> when the area of loss is programmed into the HAs, it brings those
> sounds into the range that you can hear.  So you are picking up sounds
> that you have heard before or haven't heard in a long time.  When I
> was little my hearing loss was mild to moderate and as I grew up I
> lost more hearing.  Now it is Severe to Profound loss.
>
> Another important factor when looking into HAs providers is that they
> are knowledgeable about their products.  If you have someone that
> doesn't know how to turn it on or what the devices do then you
> obviously have someone who doesn't understand your needs.  It is okay
> to be selective and ask questions.
>
> Like someone told me...there is no dumb question!  You don't know
> until you ask.
>
> Hope this helps those looking for Hearing Aids.
>
> Have a Fabulous Friday!
>
> (smile)
> Darlene
>
> "God wants to breathe new life into your dreams. He wants to breathe
> new hope into your heart. Don't give up. Hold on and you'll begin to
> see Him do amazing things"
>     ~               Joel Osteen

Enviado desde mi lap
Gerardo J Corripio Flores Psicólogo, Terapéuta Reiki Saludos desde Tampico,
Tamaulipas México RompiendoBarreras espacio de psicología/Superación
Personal Sábados 10PM México http://radiogeneral.com ¡los esperamos!