[nfb-db] Communication

SandBoxxx at aol.com SandBoxxx at aol.com
Tue Aug 4 18:07:49 UTC 2015

Hello,
I'd like to add my 2 cents here. I had forgotten the technology aspect -
I'm showing my age here. I'm glad Marsha brought it up. Using this
technology requires a braille or tactile sign result.

I have Usher 2 and am adventitiously blind and wear 2 cochlear implants. I
function as a hard-of-hearing blind person, but I have communicated and
socialized with a number of deaf sighted and deafblind individuals, although
my  signing skills were very limited and I usually used an interpreter.

Concerning communicating with those with no vision nor hearing, you really
must have a hearing tactile interpreter to communicate with them. Tactile
sign  language is pretty much what it sounds like - the deaf/blind person
holds his  hands loosely on top of the interpreter's signing underneath his
hands. Those two individuals should have told you that they needed  tactile
interpreters, and ideally you would have found and provided those  services.

Are you aware of voice/over interpreting? I've used them on several
different occasions, where interpreting was available. The interpreter repeats
into my ear or microphone what the speaker (e.g., at a podium) is saying,
generally a word or two behind the speaker while listening to his next words.
This is not a common skill because it involves listening to one thing while
speaking or signing something else. This requires a lot of skill.

Hope this helps,

Janet Sand

In a message dated 8/4/2015 10:54:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,