[NFB-DB] Day 5

doula.jarboe at gmail.com doula.jarboe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 22:22:55 UTC 2020

Hi All,

     I hope that everyone had a wonderful Convention and are recovering.  My own experience was overall good.  Since my hearing aids connect directly to my computer’s sound via Bluetooth, I wasn’t relying on the close captioning or interpreters.  However, I’m glad it was there for those who needed it.  I heard from one of my Deafblind friends, and he said he felt more included this time around for Convention.  Still, it was a strange experience not interacting with people in person.  I didn’t really get the chance to interact with others, just because by the time meetings were finished, my energy was gone.  I did enjoy the presentations at the Deafblind meeting, however, it seemed to me that the major decisions were being made just by the board.  To me, as a member, that made me feel like the board isn’t interested in membership involvement.  I don’t believe that is the message that was meant, but that is how it appeared to me.  I understand that being virtual came at everyone with very short notice.  But, are there other ways throughout the year that members can be involved over the year?  I am currently the President of our fledgling Deafblind division here in Colorado, and it would certainly be helpful for me to have other people running state level divisions to network with.  Thanks for listening, and I hope to continue to work with everyone to promote the independence and inclusion of Deafblind people in our Federation family.

Warmly,

Doula