[NFB-DB] Identifying as deafblind

kendrick.deborah at gmail.com kendrick.deborah at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 00:01:54 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

Reading these statements has been such an uplifting and affirming experience. I’m typically a lurker on lists, but decided it was definitely time to join the conversation.

My hearing impairment was first discovered when I was 15, but I completely dismissed that possibility as absurd. In my mid 20s, I had to accept that it was true.

I got my first hearing aids in 1990-ish, and have had many since then. I went from hiding in shame to proclaiming proudly to anyone who will listen.

In 1999, a friend recruited me to volunteer at an AADB conference. She said to me, “You know, you are DeafBlind yourself.” I did not much care for the sound of that.

At the conference, however, seeing people with every level ofhearing loss and every level of vision loss and every possible combination, I began to feel much more comfortable in my own skin.

In 2012 or 2013, I went to a series of presentations in order to write about the new iCanConnect program. I’m a journalist, and was gathering stories for my newspaper.  I fell in love with the program, and wound up teaching in it for three years. I loved those years and loved all the people I met.

I live alone. With family and friends, I function pretty much like a hearing person who is blind. I have the most powerful hearing aids on the market, but the truth is that I miss about half when I’m in a gathering of more than four people. Covid and Zoom almost allowed me to forget that I have a profound hearing loss because, of course, my phone is streamed to my hearing aids and all my devices are cranked up to max volume.

Once we all started joining the world again, though, the anxiety of struggling to catch the conversation was back in full bloom.

I have writte many columns, reviews, profiles and more about blindness, deafness, DeafBlindness, and all of the associated equipment, but my love letter of sorts to all of my fellow DeafBlind friends and colleagues is my book

WHEN YOUR EARS CAN’T HELP YOU SEE, which Is available in print, braille, and several electronic versions from National Braille Press

www.nbp.org <http://www.nbp.org> .

When I was teaching, one of my students showed me a little pro-tactile sign, and I would love love love to learn more. I learned the manual alphabet when I was ten, but have been told I do a few of the letters wrong.

I think a dream experience would be to spend time at HKNC learning how to be better, so Marsha I hope you will talk more about that experience.

Thanks, everyone, for such beautiful and honest sharing.

Deborah