[NFB-DB] performance of computer - hearing-aid pairing

maurice mines maurice at maurice-amines.com
Mon Jan 25 18:04:51 UTC 2021

good morning all I assume that this varies by several things, one type
of hearing aid. To what platform of computer is it is it a Mac, or is it
a PC. And then if it is a PC what company built the machine. In other
words what I'm trying to say here is there are many verbals with this
particular problem, or issue.

Let me give you a real life for instance here, I have a MacBook Pro that
I am using to write this message to further complicated ENB technical
I'm also running a virtual Windows 10 Pro in a virtual machine. That's
just a fancy way to save my Windows installation is in software, it's
not physically set up in boot camp such as would occur on an Intel-based
Mac. My Mac is still Intel-based because it was purchased before the M1
chip became available. But I've chosen to make my Windows virtual just
because I wanted to reduce the many issues that could arise from trying
to backup my copy of Windows. All that being said. I just got new
hearing aids, the good news is that it least in the Mac hardware and Mac
OS 11 Big Sur the process of pairing my Phonak hearing aids has gone
smoothly for the most part. Meeting that I went in to the Bluetooth
setup area and was able to pair them after a couple tries. The tricky
part is that most hearing aids have some alternative processes for
pairing because I think the manufacturers don't want to confuse these
processes with I would normally pair something say such as a Bluetooth
speaker or something like that.

If this were a PC, meaning a Windows-based system I'm sure that the
process appearing would be somewhat different. Meaning you have to go
into system settings go to Bluetooth and then figure out if it a
keyboard, or other proof real that Windows can find out about easily, or
is it everything else. Everything else seems to be a catchall. Then it
also depends on what Bluetooth stack or Bluetooth software the
manufacturer of that PC is using. Are they using the Intel set or some
other software that had been written in-house and may have a varying
degree of accessibility for a deaf blind person. Especially if there
using one of the Windows-based screen readers, either Jaws or Nvda. The
two screen readers have very different methods of passing on the
information. Not to mention Jaws also contains many alternative
keystrokes. That may, or may not be workable when working with whatever
Bluetooth stack meeting software is on the machine. But hopefully all of
it is based on what Microsoft normally goes with.

Final thoughts because of all of these different factors because of the
nature of this please if you're comfortable with this telling us what
age you have, what computer platform you are using, if Windows, or Mac
OS what version of the operating system you are currently running. And
if you know if the Bluetooth stack is the standard Microsoft the do
stuck, or something that has been written in-house.

To wrap this post up, please be aware that my comments above don't
reflect the view of the deaf blind division board, or the national
Federation of the blind. In other words this is simply me trying to help
out. And so my comments are of a nature that certainly wouldn't need
something that borders on a formal approval process. Please use my
suggestions and comments at your own risk. I assume no liability for
them because the advice is offered free of charge so this anything that
I say is certainly open to every interpretation out there. So try it and
if it works great if it doesn't try something else. Unfortunately a lot
of this is trial, an error.

Note number two please be aware that the above text has been dictated to
the computer, so some of it may not come out quite the way it was
originally intended. If there's something you did not understand based
on what I've written above, please ask me what my original intent was? I
look forward to helping anyone who asked me about this to clear up any
unintended misunderstandings based on what I've written above.

Be well, and stay safe.

On 1/25/2021 8:30 AM, Michelle (Wahlmeier) Pearson via NFB-DB wrote:
> Have you tried to turn off the pairing with your phone and then try to pair with your laptop?

Maurice Mines, Board Member National Federation of the Blind Deafblind
Division Email: board4 at nfbdeaf-blind.org Website: www.nfbdeaf-blind.org
Live the life you want. The National Federation of the Blind Deafblind
Division, a proud division of the National Federation of the Blind, is a
community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of
the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live
the lives they want.