[NFB-DB] Helen Keller's Shadow Essay

maurice mines maurice at maurice-amines.com
Tue Nov 16 00:17:55 UTC 2021

good afternoon everyone I agree that her shadow is quite long and time. Sadly America is slow to catch up. Probably many on this list are living proof that things must change in America. As I recently said in a essay that I have written for a class assignment and an American sign language course in the community where I live. Unfortunately as a black person I have often heard growing up and even today by some "you are a triple minority and have three times the barriers as others. Being black and being deaf blind. To illustrate this point sometimes when I talk to people on the phone they say but you can hear and I say without my hearing aids I can't. They are astounded. Someone said in his speech a few years ago there making strides in hearing aid technology. And I'm sitting there thinking to myself yes they are but I'll still need to lhim himearn sign what happens if there's an emergency and can't reach my hearing aids I live in a state where the possibility of a very strong earthquake is always at the back of my mind. Then when I talked other amateur radio operators know when those that I'm really using a bunch of technology to be able to even do that. Again some people and other groups tell me I'm exceptional. I agree with the concerns and how they would we should play us. Having decided deaf person play a deaf blind person is wrong. The sadly is very familiar in terms of treatment as having Caucasian actors play black actors anhimd actresses prior to World War II at least. So why do we perpetuate this today only with a different group. I don't think Hollywood get set. Just like I don't think Hollywood gets casting African-Americans as thugs out to steal a deaf blind persons money. And also trying to show the deaf blind people can't count their money. So to say that I am 100% in agreement with this post I think says a lot. And to my fellow board member and are National first VP yes it should be in the braille monitor. To help get the rest of the outfit thinking. But equally we should all realize Rome wasn't built in a day. Civil rights didn't come to black Americans overnight it took long and hard struggle. I close my post with a paraphrase of something Dr. Kenneth Jernigan said no group goes to first class citizenship without a great deahiml of struggle. And the closer we get to that the harder the road is. Remember I'm paraphrasing these are not his exact words but you get the point.

Dated to the computer by means of dictation software. Although every effort has been made to weed out mistakes there still may be some. No dictation will ever be perfect. If there's something that I said above, please ask me what my original intent was. Thank you very much for reading this.

Respectfully Maurice Mines.

maurice Mines
Maurice mines.
Board member, National Federation of the blind deaf blind division.
Vice president National Federation a of the blind of California Bakersfield chapter.
Amateur radio call sign kd0iko.
Direct phone number,  661-241-3788